Sunday, May 25, 2008

Memorial Day

Tomorrow is Memorial Day. This is a traditional day to commemorate U.S. men and women who perished while in military service to their country. Many people observe this holiday by visiting cemeteries and memorials. A national moment of remembrance takes place at 3 p.m. US Eastern time. Another tradition is to fly the U.S. flag at half-staff from dawn until noon local time. Volunteers usually place an American flag upon each grave site located in a National Cemetery.

Most, if not all, of my Uncles were in the military service. One of my aunts was in the service. Most of my male cousins were in the service. I was in the Navy. It is humbling to be in the service of your country. I can't say that I looked forward to the day I would join the military. However, in hindsight, I learned a lot and a lot about myself during those times. I also learned to respect my country and respect those that gave so much more that I to preserve our liberty.

One goal I have in my life is to visit the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, D.C. It is something that I want to do but that I also do not want to do. I want to do it but I know it will be hard and emotional. I have friends whose names are on that wall.

No comments: